Registration is needed to post to this forum.
By turtle
So why do the vast majority of hockey parents put their kids in baseball during the summer months? Is it because their kids love the sport or is there proof that hockey and baseball have transferable skills?
By zeus
turtle wrote:So why do the vast majority of hockey parents put their kids in baseball during the summer months? Is it because their kids love the sport or is there proof that hockey and baseball have transferable skills?

Here are some mainstream sports and some of the reasons why parents might choose to put their kids into them:

Soccer: good for footwork
Table Tennis (less mainstream) and Tennis: speed bursts and coordination
Basketball: five on five game which helps with coordination
Baseball and Table Tennis (less mainstream): quick reaction times
Chess (I know sounds weird but I consider it a sport): helps with focusing, paying attention and concentration (good for goalies)
Swimming and running: helps with endurance and lung capacity
Lacrosse: footwork and coordination

Bottom line... don't just stick to hockey to get better at hockey.
By rick
zeus wrote:
turtle wrote:So why do the vast majority of hockey parents put their kids in baseball during the summer months? Is it because their kids love the sport or is there proof that hockey and baseball have transferable skills?

Here are some mainstream sports and some of the reasons why parents might choose to put their kids into them:

Soccer: good for footwork
Table Tennis (less mainstream) and Tennis: speed bursts and coordination
Basketball: five on five game which helps with coordination
Baseball and Table Tennis (less mainstream): quick reaction times
Chess (I know sounds weird but I consider it a sport): helps with focusing, paying attention and concentration (good for goalies)
Swimming and running: helps with endurance and lung capacity
Lacrosse: footwork and coordination

Bottom line... don't just stick to hockey to get better at hockey.

If you were like me and laughed when you read "ping pong" for reaction time, speed bursts and coordination take a look at this... and if you don't watch the whole video, just look at #1... wow:

Become a member and ditch the ads...