Registration is needed to post to this forum.
Wondering if anyone involved in AAA hockey has ever experienced this.....

Last year my son tried out for a AAA hockey team. He had played about 5 years of house hockey and had become quite skilled. He made the team and although it was one hour from our home and pretty expensive (the house league 10 minutes and cheap), my husband and I were very excited for him. There were a lot of talented children that tried out for the team. Once the season started, we realized that the skill level of this team was not even close to AAA quality....and the children selected for the team did not represent the talent that was evident at the tryouts. We now feel that the children selected for this team were selected for reasons other than their skill (i.e.. friends of coach/mgr, played for the team last year etc.) To date the record of the team is 1-20-1....after about the 4th game, the team manager began canceling the AAA games and scheduling B and AA games and even then the team was being demolished. After the 13th game, we threw in the towel and quit the team. If we wanted to play B hockey, we could have stayed at our home arena and that's exactly what we did... went back to our home arena rather than pay hundreds more to travel to play B and AA games and pay hotel fees for tournaments that we had no business playing in.

We're angry and thinking of filing a small claims court case. This is my first experience with a AAA hockey league. Is this common or did we fall for a bait and switch?
michelle smith wrote:Wondering if anyone involved in AAA hockey has ever experienced this.....

Last year my son tried out for a AAA hockey team. He had played about 5 years of house hockey and had become quite skilled. He made the team and although it was one hour from our home and pretty expensive (the house league 10 minutes and cheap), my husband and I were very excited for him. There were a lot of talented children that tried out for the team. Once the season started, we realized that the skill level of this team was not even close to AAA quality....and the children selected for the team did not represent the talent that was evident at the tryouts. We now feel that the children selected for this team were selected for reasons other than their skill (i.e.. friends of coach/mgr, played for the team last year etc.) To date the record of the team is 1-20-1....after about the 4th game, the team manager began canceling the AAA games and scheduling B and AA games and even then the team was being demolished. After the 13th game, we threw in the towel and quit the team. If we wanted to play B hockey, we could have stayed at our home arena and that's exactly what we did... went back to our home arena rather than pay hundreds more to travel to play B and AA games and pay hotel fees for tournaments that we had no business playing in.

We're angry and thinking of filing a small claims court case. This is my first experience with a AAA hockey league. Is this common or did we fall for a bait and switch?

Lots of strange things in AAA hockey... but taking it to small claims court is a little over the top IMO.
michelle smith wrote:Wondering if anyone involved in AAA hockey has ever experienced this.....

If the squad is getting demolished by AA and B level teams then clearly someone dropped the ball when assessing the skill level. But if the team is in AAA then how is it possible for the coach to play against AA and B level teams. Is your team in the GTHL?
michelle smith wrote:No, we play in NY and I'm really not sure if once the AAA games were cancelled whether the games were considered "out of league" games. However, the games are listed in the statistics on "Myhockeyratings.com".

OK... then it's possible that the rules are different. In the GTHL, teams can't just switch between levels.
  Become a member and ditch the ads...