Registration is needed to post to this forum.
By zizi
So here's a question: are GTHL and hockey tryouts in generals fair?

All coaches have a son or daughter on the team... some parents might offer a cash incentive to the coach to keep their kid on the AAA team... the sponsor's kid is also most definitely going to be on the team... and there's always talk about kids who were promised a spot on the team.

Now enter the somewhat talented kids who have absolutely no connection to the coach, manager, trainer, sponsor or what-have-you. How can these kids actually be objectively assessed given the context of the team situation?
[quote="zizi"]So here's a question: are GTHL and hockey tryouts in generals fair?

All coaches have a son or daughter on the team... some parents might offer a cash incentive to the coach to keep their kid on the AAA team... the sponsor's kid is also most definitely going to be on the team... and there's always talk about kids who were promised a spot on the team.

Now enter the somewhat talented kids who have absolutely no connection to the coach, manager, trainer, sponsor or what-have-you. How can these kids actually be objectively assessed given the context of the team situation?[/quote]

Well... that's why when your kid has an opportunity to play on a team or with different kids you should go for it. If your kid is somewhat talented, it won't hurt for him/her to be exposed to a number of different coaches. At the end of the day, there is room for a number of different non-connected kids.
hockeydad wrote:
zizi wrote:So here's a question: are GTHL and hockey tryouts in generals fair?

Now enter the somewhat talented kids who have absolutely no connection to the coach, manager, trainer, sponsor or what-have-you. How can these kids actually be objectively assessed given the context of the team situation?

Well... that's why when your kid has an opportunity to play on a team or with different kids you should go for it. If your kid is somewhat talented, it won't hurt for him/her to be exposed to a number of different coaches. At the end of the day, there is room for a number of different non-connected kids.

I agree. There's definitely room for good kids.

Like in any sport, tryouts are subjective. However, you need to have faith that the organizations that run tryouts (be it in hockey, basketball, soccer or what-have-you) have a reputation to uphold and must abide by the rules. By breaking the rules, the organizations would be putting their reputation and much more at risk... something that I think would be highly unlikely. Also, some teams may even have rules against having parent-coaches, or even having parents on the bench.

My experience is that they're fair.
I love this question... and no one works with more players and their parents at every age and skill level right up to the pros on a daily basis in Canada / US and the European hockey league 12 months out of the year. This also includes PHATS SPHEM and for those of you who do not know what this is.... http://www.phats-sphem.com

What is fair ?
The only place in regards to fair hockey on any continent is if you are playing hockey at a house league level period. When it comes to tryouts at an advanced level your child either has the complete skill level sets or he does not. Undeniable talent is instantly recognizable but is evident in only a few players... may be 3 in 100.

To all parents.... tryouts are fair if your child makes the team... tryouts are unfair to those parents who's child does not make the team and to those parents in all fairness... tell your child the truth... if he wants to make the team bad enough next year he will have to put the time and effort into the practice skills he is lacking in the off season....greatness is not awarded... it is earned
Steve35 wrote:To all parents.... tryouts are fair if your child makes the team... tryouts are unfair to those parents who's child does not make the team and to those parents in all fairness... tell your child the truth... if he wants to make the team bad enough next year he will have to put the time and effort into the practice skills he is lacking in the off season....greatness is not awarded... it is earned

That's well said.

I also didn't know about PHATS/SPHEM (thanks for sharing) or what the acronym stood for. For those in the same boat as me (as taken from their website):

PHATS: Professional Hockey Athletic Trainers Society
SPHEM: Society of Professional Hockey Equipment Managers
Steve35 wrote:The only place in regards to fair hockey on any continent is if you are playing hockey at a house league level period. When it comes to tryouts at an advanced level your child either has the complete skill level sets or he does not. Undeniable talent is instantly recognizable but is evident in only a few players... may be 3 in 100.

I don't know if i'd categorize Select, A, AA, AAA as "advanced levels".... so the question really is. Irrespective of whether or not you make the team can tryouts really be objective and fair when you have parent coaches... sponsors... friends...
sajaki wrote:I don't know if i'd categorize Select, A, AA, AAA as "advanced levels".... so the question really is. Irrespective of whether or not you make the team can tryouts really be objective and fair when you have parent coaches... sponsors... friends...

Must I say it again... if your child plays house league ( that's as basic as it gets ) its an introduction and the basic fundamentals of playing the game ... it's fun ... its exercise... no real pressure... everyone's a winner, everyone gets a trophy at the end of the season.... no child left behind bubble baby mentality... one basic registration fee.

Anything out side of house league, A, AA, AAA is advanced in every way period and that includes competitive play.

Tryouts are objective and fair no matter who is coaching or sponsoring or if a few guys make the team that are buddy's. Even if the coaches son or two sons were on the team and the same goes for two kids fathered by the sponsor... that's four players out of a whole team... if your child still does not shine with his developed skill sets and cant fill the other 11 available tryout positions that make up a team... he's just plain and simply not a good player. If he was outstanding he would not be overlooked plain and simple.... Provide your child with the development tools... tell him to get off his lazy ass and off his play station and gonzo box phone.... put in the practice time off season that most kids do at an advance hockey league if he wants to be on the bench the following year.

Stop blaming coaches, sponsors, the league etc... Greatness is never awarded in anything - it's earned... Sometimes nothing is fair....
The only person you or your child are destined to become is the people you decide to be
Your greatness is limited to the investment you make in yourself ....Excuses will always be there for you - opportunity won't
Are you excuses greater than your dreams ? Don't be disappointed with the results your child did not achieve from the effort and practicing he did not put in ....

Sport is a competitive game... there are winners and there are losers... goals win games... put the puck in the net period
What league are you referring to?

here in OMHA land ... things may run a bit differently. My son's team has 6 of 17 kids with a parent on team management. And then you factor in friends of the coach and assistant coaches and there aren't quite as many open spots come tryouts. For the kids who played on the current year's team, the coach already knows who he wants returning to his team next year. You have to be a complete standout at tryouts to fight for the few open spots.

Tryouts are not quite fair for the kids who show up thinking there are 15 spots open.
  Become a member and ditch the ads...